Tuesday 21 May 2013

Initial 3 Character Sketches

The first page in my little sketchbook that I have been using to keep track of notes and things when I am out and dont have access to a computer to write on. I had to get a name for my world to be able to get more of a feel for it, as shown here I came up with quite a lot of names that I didnt use that are inspired by the names of other fantasy worlds in games today. I am happy with the name Tirinar as a world name and with it chosen I can start jumping into the more fun and detailed aspects of the world which I want to portray more of.
Yoel is the character that... Joel asked me to design, he gave me a simple concept of a pirate with specific types of clothes, which to be honest is the easiest way to design a character. It was fun doing this character as I have a good memory bank of pirate reference images and found it easy to draw from memory alone which is what this sketch is done from.
The second character that I have got down in my sketch book is Jesses character Avion, his description was written by Jess also which gave me even less work to do for the backstory which is good when I have got a lot to do anyway, the sketch for this one was tricky as I have not really seen people handle birds before and needed to get reference images for the pose after I just did this one from guesswork, the images I found were not as dynamic as I would have hoped either but in the end I think it will turn out okay.
Orse! Now Orse is a character that I didnt actually manage to get done, I have done 6 characters already and didnt have enough time for any more, the character didnt really fit into the narrative as much as I had hoped either, he would have been in if I had more time to work on this project but that wasnt the case. Also I found that without enough storytelling images to push the narrative then the audience wouldnt really understand the reason for a scruffy looking beggar to be in my animatic.











I also thought that I should mention the fact that all characters have their own little backstories, the reason for this is I was told by my tutors and several people that I should do this as it would give more of an insight into the characters and their motivation. I found it fun to make up the stories behind each character as I have not done this before and I liked how I thought about them and added little details I didnt even think I thought I knew about them. Anyway I really enjoyed writing about the characters and it is good practice to do in the future as it also informs what they will look like too which is a bonus to my concept art practise.

No comments:

Post a Comment