Monday 8 October 2012

Kekai Kotaki Artist Study

This is the amazing work of Kekai Kotaki, he is one of my favorite conceptual/Digital artists of all time, every piece of work he does is as outstanding as these pieces here, here is his blogger introduction. 

Born and raised on the Big Island of Hawaii, moved to Seattle Washington in 2000 to go to school and pursue a career in art. I was Concept Art Lead at ArenaNet working on Guild Wars 2. Also I do illustrations on the side.


Kekai has been known to be very secretive about how he creates his artwork, he never puts up any tutorials that I know of and he doesn't really talk much about how he creates his artwork, a man after my own heart, I also prefer this way of working even though it has its downsides, I prefer to focus on what needs to be done and better time management which seems to be how Kekai himself works, I highly respect this artist because he has worked as the lead artist for the Arenanet game Guild Wars 2 (Which I play might I add) and which again is a similar position to the role I want to work in as a future job.

I have added Kekais' blogger link at the top of my page under the useful links section, I find looking at amazing artwork when there is a lack of inspiration can encourage me to do better and give me good ideas.


Another of Kekai Kotakis works that he has done and made in to a GIF image, this is not common of Kekai as he does not normally show people how he creates his work which is why I have kept this to study and work with.

I have decided to blog about this artist in relation to my machinima module as what I have focused on in this project is creating concept art, dont get me wrong I have done plenty of all the practises which come with this module but I have tried to keep my main focus and primary workload based on concept art production and development. This is where Kekai come in, his focus in the industry is concept art, he does all the artwork for the games he works on which is what I have done in this project, he leads the artistic direction of the project as did I and he creates work with which the animators create their animations and environments. In many ways in this module I have had the same role which Kekai has in his industry, and I will continue to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment