Tuesday 29 April 2014

FMP Sound From BBC Library

With enough time set aside for sound engineering in my game space, I started collecting sounds for every aspect of the level I could think of. The impact noises of the different types of materials e.g. wood, metal, stone, I then developed a script which plays these noises if the object is moving equal to or above a certain speed, in most cases this was 5 in my unity project. The tutorial which I followed to help me with this mechanic is below. What I would like to do is limit the sound so that it can only play once every, for example, 0.5 seconds which would stop the effect that it currently has which repeatedly plays the sound at its fastest rate as long as the object is travelling above 5 and colliding at the same time. Put simply I would like to make the sound effects more realistic by a few tweaks to the code but can only do this if I have enough time to go back and redo a few of the little things in my project.


After I had collected some of the individual hard to find noises like bangs and scrapes, a tutor suggested that I use the BBC sound library, I was reluctant at first as when this was suggested to me before I had always had too many other things to do in my projects than sit and go through libraries of sound effects until I find the one that fits best. This time though I had enough time and found it was very rewarding to use professional sounds and effects instead of quickly downloaded low quality ones from the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment