Sunday 13 April 2014

FMP Character Modelling and Rigging



Here I was working on my PC desktop instead of my mac, so I had a chance to record how I modelled the character mesh. I found some really useful tutorials which are mentioned in an earlier blogpost and followed some of those tutorials to refresh myself on how to model in maya, the most noteworthy tool was the one I made to automatically mirror the geometry I was working on, it is visible in the recording of me using this tool and it really helped with quickly seeing what the outcome of mirroring one side of the geometry would be and if it worked or not. In this instance I very quickly UV mapped the mesh to the reference image I was using as I wanted to save time and work on other things that needed working on, I know this is not good practise but was a necessary timesaver to be able to reach my goal of finishing everything I had planned, I may go back and redo the texture as it will be presented at exhibitions soon.

Below is my char with the controllers attached, I again went through the same process as last year for creating these, the tedious renaming, the parenting and locking components and so on. Overall though it didn't take as long as I thought it might have, which was good because it gave me more time to polish up on my environment.


From my previous experience in modelling and texturing I know that this is what an actual professional mesh texture is supposed to look like for a character. These are from the game League of Legends and have the same sort of distance from the camera in game as what I am expecting from my game. So this is an accurate amount of detail I should be aiming for what redoing my own character texture. 



Again as above, I understand that this is a industry worthy 3D model and I should be aiming for this kind of level of work to be able to get a job in this area. As stated in the image the model was made using 3dsmax, Zbrush and mental ray, programs I expect to be using in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment