Monday 3 December 2012

Maya 5

These are some of the final screenshots I took of the processes I used and explored in Maya and Unity, the top screenshot is of my character in Unity with his 3 animations attached to him. The biggest problem I had with Unity in this project was not really a big one, I had to create new textures and use Targas instead of IFF formats for my imported texture files. This was a minor inconvenience and I had to create a separate bump file to make the bumpmapping reimport to the model but other than that everything went fairly smoothly.


I also used Andys environment to animate my character in, this would make sure that when he is imported to Andys Unity folder and resized to fit in the scenery he would interact in the environment properly. 


The differences between this model and the alien one is about 20 hours of modelling and rigging experience. I feel it necessary to point out that my Alien model will be far inferior to the rigging used in the Guard model, this is because it was my first time using these processes and it was all a little rushed as we were given a bit of a deadline when it came to finishing the alien model. I spent a lot more time on my guard because it felt like it was mine, and I want anything I make to represent me, therefore I tried to make it as skilfully as possible. At each stage in the rigging process I saved the file separately to make sure I had files to fall back on, and I paid special attention to every stage of rigging and made sure it all worked properly before I moved on to the next stage whatever it was. I also did all the housekeeping for my guard model and locked off all the joints so that it could not accidentally break, it is a pretty bomb proof model and I would confidently give the model to an animator to used knowing that they could not and the model would not break by accident.

No comments:

Post a Comment