Wednesday 12 December 2012

Nicholas Kay Artist Study

Nicholas Kay is a great freelance artist I found on YouTube a while back and decided to study his work and how he creates it as well as how he makes a living out of the industry of freelance illustration.

One of the key aspects of his work I think is that he works to create visual images as real to life as possible, he knows the tricks and tips of how to get metal looking like metal and how to get a real looking perspective feel and keep things in focus and depth of field. He uses a very theoretical approach to drawing as I have seen in many of his videos, he goes through stages of work which ultimately layer up the image he is working on and even though it may not look particularly stunning when he starts his work, in the end it always comes out amazing.

I have tried his way of working and created a character design a little bit like this one, I found working in a theoretical way to be quite time consuming, it is hard until the very end to visualise the finished result but I think it definitely payed of trying to work in this style which differs from my usual methods.




http://nicholaskay.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/feel-good-nonsense-and-hard-truths.html#comment-form

No comments:

Post a Comment