Saturday 23 February 2013

Webinar CGHub

This post is about a webinar which is basically a seminar online which I attended because I signed up to it from CGHub, I am really happy i found these because they are very insightful into the industry of creating artwork for games and there are some really great professionals out there that are featured in these. I am also glad that I was lucky enough the recieve a place in the event as CGHub is quite a well known and prestegious website and features some of the best digital artists of our time. 

This is the first of three webinars that I have attended but I will only discuss this one as I found it the most interesting, the webinar was with Scott Robertson, an artist who has been working in the industry for 20+ years and who has some great tips and tricks and also a huge amount of insight into the creative industry. He talked for an hour to us about how he creates his work and what he has done over the years and how he has been seen to be successful, he also talks about how the industry has changed over the years and how nothing was the same when he was first starting out.

The notes I took from the webinar put in to bullet points are:
  • He uses Modo for quick modelling
  • Creates 3D models and then paints over them
  • Think about the physical elements while you are designing
  • Trial and error is a big part of designing
  • Try manage time well to get the most things done
  • Tests of work
  • The secret is finding what you think is the best and then working with that aspect
  • Create an extensive visual memory bank
  • Get experience
  • Explore, research,photograph.
  • Studies of what you are interested in
  • Be curious about your study and want to learn more about it
  • Read,travel,visit museums and events
  • Exchange ideas, get experience
  • Nothing sticks until you do it (kinetic learner) so do it!
  • The work is finished when you are out of time
  • Realise the process and the time frame
  • Put things together that are not meant to go and you might find something new
  • Play with variables to create new concepts 
  • Own a database of references/ownmade work
  • Paint over objects using tools to replicate the texture
  • Render Photoreal objects
  • Observation drawing against all different materials
  • Physics of reflectivity 
  • Observation coupled with the physics of how things work
  • Stay relevant
  • Adopt new tools as they come
  • Creative process - how to design the object - creative solutions
  • Sometimes facebook and twitter are useful


And that is all of the notes I took on the webinar, I think there are quite a lot because I found it to be very useful and insightful. I will be using all of the advice I picked up from the webinar as much as I can. Below are a few of the screenshots I took of the webinar being registered for me to attend.




No comments:

Post a Comment