Thursday 15 November 2012

Maya Stuff 3

These are another load of Maya screenshots that I have taken so I can elaborate on them and the processes that go into making everything that I have made in Maya. So I learned (or thought rather) that Unity runs animations at 30 frames per second and Maya runs things at 24 fps so I used the preferences menu and changed the time slider so that they would match up, it turns out that somewhere along the exporting line that Unity played my animations at the same speed they do in Maya, this was not a huge problem because all of my animations only run for about 8-15 seconds and the slowed speed is not that noticeable when it is played in context.


For the part of the module hand in where there needed to be our own versions of the alien Matt told us to make, I decided to learn all about how Unity worked and how it runs the scripts and animations, I did this early so that when it actually came to doing it for real I would know how to do it and get it out of the way faster. I hadnt finished my own alien by this point so I used Matts finished model to animate and learn all the techniques of what I would need to do for myself later. 


The scripts were not as tricky as I had anticipated, as long as there is no break in the code then everything works properly, its just a case of knowing what is meant to be written in the code and then going through and checking that there are no slight errors in it anywhere. We only used one script for our turntable hand ins, which was the random animation script, it plays one out of the how ever many animations are attached to the model at a time and chooses randomly between them all for which one to play next. After a few attempts I managed to get this working and was very happy to finish my alien model and get it out of the way. 


Another thing we needed to incorporate was the rotate around a point script for the camera so that it, when played, only rotates around one point in the scene. This makes a turntable look a lot nicer and also adds a little bit of interactivity from the viewer to do which is always good.


Here is a side on view of my character in his T pose so that I have better reference to model him from, I imported these into the scene as image planes so that I could scale my guy properly and all the proportions would be right. This worked well and I think I wont ever be working without reference in Maya when it comes to modelling again.


Again this is an image plane I used to model my character on.

No comments:

Post a Comment