Sunday 23 February 2014

FMP Lore and World Building

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDFvR3NjEUc




I was told by a friend about this video when I was discussing with him the difficulties of creating lore for a world from scratch. The amount of things that need to be considered are enormous, for example creating concept art for a small town might be easy, but then naming the town - why it is named that - is it named that by other people - is it named the same in other languages - how long has the town been there - why is it here and not 3 miles in another direction - what kind of people live there - why is the design of the buildings like they are - and so on. This video helped me think about why things are where they are and made everything much easier when placing things (especially on the map I have made) as well as planning out the route the main character of my story will take and why.

Overall I have come to realise that world building is a job in itself and it takes a certain kind of mind to be able to work at it for a long period of time. I guess writers will find this sort of thing easier but I have had a lot of fun finding ways to create new lore for my world and implement it.

No comments:

Post a Comment