Wednesday 6 March 2013

504 Cyborg Model Process

One of the last things I modelled this project was the Cyborg model, I left it a little late in the project so it got a little neglected but I still think it turned out okay for the amount of time it will actually be in shot in the video. I added new things that I have learned about like a glow map which really added to the piece and also got a little better at rigging as well as modelling in general which I did rather fast for this character. I like the colours and shapes of the model which I stuck to in reference to my concept art and reference images, I also think that I was efficient in mapping the model as I only mapped the parts of the model that would be in focus which is what practitioners use to save time because there is no point in beautifully rendering and creating everything especially when it is not going to be seen in the end result.

         

Also I have included a playblast so it is clearer on how I got to the finished result and what processes I went through to get there.



Some more reference images and walk cycle images that I used to get a more realistic walk cycle and to see what my rendered scene looks like finished.





 

This was a very new and interesting experience to me and very good practice because I tried something new that I didnt know would pay off but I think experience wise in the end it did, I did a little bit of research and thanks to Joel initially showing me this UV map I found that WoW creators Blizzard make their UV maps for their characters the opposite way around to what we have been taught here at Uni, instead of creating the model then UV mapping it and then painting over the UV map what I think that have done is to paint big parts of what the models UV map will look like onto a canvas and keeping it all in proportion and scale and then afterwards UV map the model with the texture already ready and just lining up the pieces. 

I think this method (when spent more time on) creates a more realistic finished result and is in some ways when working on a big image a lot faster, I tried this when creating my UV map and found that there were pros and cons to this way of working, it was harder to line up the UVs than before but was a lot faster of a work cycle because of the saved time when it comes to trying to find what part of the model matches up with what part of the exported UV map in PS because you are matching them up right there and then in your modelling software you cant really lose where you are in the map because you are lining it up as you go along.


I would use this method again when I come to UVing but the difference I would do would be to create a more diverse detailed UV map in PS before importing it to Maya to work with which will give me more freedom to match things up to where they should be.




No comments:

Post a Comment