Tuesday 28 January 2014

FMP 2D V 3D Pros and Cons



This is my graph, there are many like it but this one is mine. I basically made a simple pros and cons table trying to decide what exactly I want to create in this project. 2D seemed like the clear option for a while until I actually tried downloading templates and looking at tutorials for the creation of a 2D game.  The video below is of the indie game Bastion, I thought this was the kind of game I wanted to create and that it would be easier than 3D modelling and rigging and everything that comes with that kind of game. It turns out I know not a lot about 2D coding so I decided to stick to what I'm good at and will be creating a 3D game possibly with a fixed camera to make the job a little easier.





Turns out that it's not a combination of 2D and 3D; the main character and enemies were created, colored and animated in 3D and then the animations were exported into a series of PNG image files. The PNG files were then sequenced together into the game engine to create the animations. Any color adjustments that had to be made meant that they would have to go back into the 3D base, re-export the PNG files and re-implement them into the game. The reason why they went this route was to keep the whole game running within a 2D engine and to avoid developing the game with a 3D engine which often proves to be a gigantic chore for game developers that don't have an incredibly huge staff. 

http://www.cgsociety.org/index.php/CGSFeatures/CGSFeatureSpecial/supergiant_games_bastion

I included this part of an article about the game Bastion because it interested me, the creative problem solving looks to be one of the reasons the game ended up like it did and was so unique and interesting. Something I think I should keep in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment